Wednesday, January 9, 2008

...and cut that hair!!!!!

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is wasted" - Aesop

Got a bunch of old hair trimmings lying around that you just don't know what to do with? Beth at Fake Plastic Fish passed along this little tidbit - send it off to Matter of Trust, a 501(c) that helps make mats out of human hair that are the bees knees at cleaning up oil spills. How cool is that?

Now I know hair isn't one of the bigger things on everyone's plates these days, but it is a totally renewable resource (I hope my Dad isn't reading this) and if it can be used to clean up oil spills, why not? Since MOT is a non-profit, you can probably write it off too, just not sure what the value would be.

MOT isn't as interested in personal donations as much as hooking up with salons to get larger quantities. Sign up is free but for $10 they'll send some posters and things to let customers know their hair has life after it hits the floor. I'm not sure, but I can't really see a salon not being willing to do this, can you?

I'm off to talk to my barber.

Live Sustainably

Dave


No comments: